Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Day Nineteen, Gorham, NH to Manchester, NH - 260 Miles















Wednesday, August 25, 2010
Greetings Friends from Manchester, NH, approximately 45 minutes north of Boston, Mass.

We got up to overcast skies and a light mist falling on the motorcycles this morning. We wiped the bikes down and prepared to leave. I went into my room to get my bags when I heard someone say, "It's not misting anymore." Good I thought, until I heard, "It's raining." And my friends, it rained all day. Out route took us through the White Mountains National Park, probably one of the most scenic areas of New Hampshire, regrettably, all we saw were wet trees, low clouds, and three wild turkeys. It was slow going. It took us four hours to do 150 miles.
Today, Steve learned why I call our long annual rides "Horck Adventures." While on a roadside potty break along a river in the Park, Steve decided to take a few pictures. He took one of me and I said I would return the favor. As Steve handed me his camera and turned away, he slipped on the wet rocks and slowly slid into the river. I was trying to see how to help Steve, withour falling in myself, and totally neglected to get a picture, a photo opportunity missed. As Steve slid into the river the switch and cable for his heated jacket departed is jacket and also went in the river. We selected a small sampling and make a tool to fish the switch out of the river. Before we departed Steve took the opportunity to slip and fall again.
Heading south, we stopped at Granite State Harley-Davidson, in Lebanon, NH, where Bob and I both purchased new rain suit bottoms. Bob, because he mailed his home to lighten the load, and me because I felt like I was wearing a cold wet diaper; my rain suit pants leaked. Apparently, according to Archil Eisenhart, the Motorclothes Manager, they are only good for about three years. I've had mine for fifteen! Guess I got my money out of those. Jack, "I don't need no stinkin rain suit," took the opportunity to replace a burned out passing lamp, and empty the water out of his boots for the second time today, apparently, they are not waterproof either.

Our quest today was to see some of New Hampshire's famous covered bridges. We've given up on trying to see a Moose. We don't believe there are any surviving Moose in northeastern Canada or the United States. We missed several in the White Mountains due to the weather, but we learned of one near Lebanon in Quechee, only seven miles away. I have to admit, it was not what I had come to expect. Anti-climatic, at best. More rain, but at least my butt was dry.
Along our route today we passed the expansive Dartmouth College in Hanover, NH, the 9th oldest college in the United States, and the only Ivy League school to call itself a college, in lieu of a University. Although headed for Boston, MA, we elected to bed down in Manchester, NH, approximately 45 minutes from Boston, so that we would have time to get cleaned up, put on dry clothes, hang up our wet clothes to dry, and take Bill out for a birthday dinner. We got a recommendation from the hotel desk clerk and walked down the street to KC's Rib Shack, where we enjoyed the best meal that that we have had thus far on our journey, and we have had some good meals. The proprietor, KC picked up the tab for Birthday Boy.
We waddled back to our rooms and retired for the night. Tomorrow, we're off to Boston and the Freedom Trail.








































For the first time in a few days, we were able to access a freeway and took Interstae 89 south to Interstae 93 toward Concord, NH.




























































2 comments:

Stacey said...

Hi All,

May tomorrow be a much dryer day so you can really enjoy Boston. Try and enjoy for me as well. Wish I was there with you!

Hun, I really love reading your daily adventures and seeing the pictures. Keep up the great work!

xoxo

Stacey

Sylvia said...

Hi two amigos, two dwarfs, Steve and Bill. I am enjoying the pictures and Tim and I are laughing at the funny comments in the blog. We are both with all of you in spirit. Don't forget to give me a shout out when you get to Niagra Falls.

Highway Princess/Snow White